Youth & Community Groups
The Gilbert White Field Studies Centre aims to continue the legacy of 18th century naturalist Gilbert White, author of the world-famous Natural History of Selborne (1789) and pioneer in field studies. Often regarded as the ‘father of ecology’ Gilbert’s work has inspired and intrigued generations, from Charles Darwin to Virginia Woolf, with his heart-felt and detailed enthusiasm for scientific inquiry.
Why not bring your group to The Field Studies Centre to work on your Naturalist or Wildlife Explorer badges.
Activities can include:
- Build a bird box or bug home
- Hunt for minibeasts and find out how to identify them
- Go on a moonlight bat walk as part of a nature themed sleepover
- Go on our Tree Quest to identify the trees in our parkland
- Explore the life in the local stream and learn about pollution