Join our dedicated team of staff and trustees and help to develop and sustain this wonderful heritage site!
Please send your CV and application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: CVs without an application form are not accepted
Full Time Chef
White’s Café/Bistro is a new café situated in the stable yard of the historic Gilbert White & The Oates Collections Museum in Selborne.
Experienced full time chef wanted as part of the White’s team. We are looking for a proactive individual to work as part of our kitchen team. As well as daily cafe work White’s also hosts theme evenings once a month, weddings and other events.
This role is full time and includes weekends, evening and bank holiday work.
Good verbal communication skills
Methodical and well organised
A team player
“Can do” positive attitude
Good written communication skills
Cooking/catering or baking experience
Cash handling experience
Hours: 40 hours per week
Monday – Sunday: 5 days out of 7. Daily hours will be 9.30am – 5.30pm (with occasional evenings & occasional change of hours depending on needs of business).
Location: White’s (occasional assistance may be required for events within the grounds)
Job summary: To supervise all front of house activities & work alongside the main chef to make White’s the place to go. The right candidate must have a friendly demeanour with strong attention to service who is able to galvanise the team to do the same.
Your main daily duties & responsibilities will be:
- The lead host in the café – you will be the friendly, polite host who greets customers
- Ensuring standards of service are met, including opening up & closing down procedures.
- Planning & implementing staff rotas for front of house & ensuring sufficient staffing levels for business needs.
- Following health & safety procedures/hygiene standards & training FOH staff in this area
- Working with the kitchen to provide and serve the best quality produce in a timely manner
- Serving hot and cold (including alcoholic) beverages
- Keeping track of trends in the industry as well as what works/doesn’t work at ‘White’s’ so that we can stay relevant, meet people’s needs & provide what customers want.
- Cash handling, including cashing up & tracking sales
- Leading the FOH team & working with the kitchen to increase custom & sales & ensuring customers want to return time & time again.
- Improving the flow in the café to make sure everyone is served as efficiently as possible & can easily see the available offer.
- Fully utilising the POS system & introducing new methods of paying & a flexibility of paying at the table so that guests can stay longer & feel able to order extra drinks etc
Other duties will include
- Working with the museum/FSC/event teams on events & other business demands affecting the whole of the organisation
- Attending relevant management/team leader meetings
- Being part of the team who will introduce a zero waste policy & drastically reduce carbon footprint.
- Creating a great atmosphere for staff & customers alike.
- Working with the team to take advantage of special GW occasions as well as other key calendar dates & festivities.
- Recognising all customer demographics & ensuring their needs are provided for. EG children’s activities, LGBTQ friendly, accessible for those less mobile.