The Oates Collections
When the home of Gilbert White came up for sale in the 1950's a trust was set up to purchase the house to become a museum. However this was not possible until Robert Washington Oates, a book collector and fan of natural history came forward. The money was given with the understanding that the museum would commemorate both Gilbert White and the Oates family, principally Frank Oates (1840-1875) and Lawrence Oates (1880-1912).
The museum opened in 1955 under the title The Oates Memorial Library & Museum and The Gilbert White Museum. Since then the museum has had many titles but it has always dedicated it's upper floors to the stories of these two remarkable explorers of the natural world.